ミニヘッドライン 2012/03/27



Anyone who sees any suspicious activity around an ATM should call the police or Crimestoppers (0800-555-111). An ATM scam targeting bank customers here could be more widespread than first thought, with four machines and up to 500 cardholders already confirmed as targets. New details emerged yesterday of the lengths the fraudsters are going to to overcome bank security and access thousands of dollars in cash from unsuspecting customers. Up to 500 card holders are believed to have used four affected ANZ and National Bank machines in Parnell, Ponsonby, Takapuna and Howick, but it still isn't clear how much money has been stolen. However, one of them, Jacques Ninzigamiye, said the last place he had used his card was in Northcote, on the North Shore, and he had lost $1300, withdrawn at the weekend in Bangkok - a city he has never visited. The Herald has also learned of another possible case in Orewa, indicating the scam is larger than first thought.



Drug education wasn't what an Auckland mum expected when she bought a learning game for her 13-month-old son - but that's exactly what was on the cards. To her surprise, the word "leaf" in a pack of flash cards was illustrated with what appeared to be a piece of marijuana foliage. "I thought, 'No.' Then I looked at it again and thought, 'Oh my God.' I thought it was quite hilarious. I can teach my child life skills at 1 year old," said the woman, who did not want to be named. The 31-year-old bought the 50-card pack from Education Services in Papakura last week. Flash cards help young children to expand their vocabulary by linking words and pictures.



A Pak n Save ad for meat week has been chopped after vegetarians found it offensive. The ad warns vegetarians to look away while meat travels along a conveyer, then tells them it's safe to look back because it's just a carrot, but really it's a sausage. The video has been pulled from Pak n Save's Facebook page where it's been cooly received there too, with comments that it's bad taste and offensive. On the Facebook page, Pak n Save says its reviewing the advertisement and while the process occurs, it'll be pulled out of advertising rotation.



Lucrative allowances are nearly doubling the pay of some overseas-based foreign affairs staffers – including a maintenance worker making as much as $154,000 a year. Documents seen by The Dominion Post show it is not uncommon for overseas Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade staff members to collect $100,000-plus a year in allowances, and even workers on roughly the average wage are collecting six-figure sums. Once extra costs such as rental accommodation and school fees are taken into account, a person earning $51,874 in salary – such as a maintenance worker at the New Zealand embassy in Moscow – can collect about an extra $100,000 once direct employee benefits including allowances, phones and internet are included. Rent is not included in that figure.



Ports of Auckland can take no further steps to make workers redundant under a ruling by the Employment Court today. A temporary injunction granted this afternoon halts the port's plans to make 292 employees redundant and contract out their jobs until May 16. The port has also been stopped from trying to attract workers into taking voluntary redundancies until Friday. The ruling comes after the port last week agreed not to take any further action over redundancies or engage with contractors, but then locked out workers when they returned to the port the next day.



Advertising revenue bolstered TVNZ's bottom line in figures released today, reporting an after tax profit of $19.2 million. The half-year figures showed a profit increase of $14.3 million on the same period a year before. The broadcaster's advertising revenue grew to $168 million, a rise of 2.3% on the year before. This increase was ahead of total television market growth of 1.6%. The figures beat the annual net surplus of $14.1 million flagged in the broadcasters Statement of Intent, which envisaged an annual dividend payment of $12.8 million, or 70 percent of net profit. TVNZ paid out $13.5 million in 2011.



Burger Fuel Worldwide, the local fast-food chain targeting franchises in the Middle East, has signed up a new franchisee in post-Gaddafi Libya. The burger chain, which went public in 2007, signed an agreement with Sadeen General Trading in Libya, which already operates European coffee brands in the North African nation. Burger Fuel has been selling licences in the Middle East, which now accounts for about a quarter of its revenue, based from its international headquarters in Dubai. The shares climbed 11% to 89 cents on the NZX today and have jumped 51% this year.



An Australian mining company is hoping to strike gold on New Zealand's West Coast. Strategic Elements, a listed Australian company which funds projects in the materials sector, has applied for permits to search for gold at the historic Golden Blocks Goldfield in Golden Bay. The Tasman District Council is waiting for details on what effect gold mining will have in the region. Mayor of the district Richard Kempthorne said the community needs to be well-informed about the plans. The 131 square kilometres project includes seven historical mines, which produced about 39,154 ounces of gold.



The number of jobs dipped slightly in January, reversing gains seen in December, according to official monthly figures. The national employment indicator showed jobs held by wage and salary earners fell 0.2 per cent in January compared with December 2011, Statistics New Zealand said. "After a slight increase in December 2011, the number of seasonally adjusted filled jobs in January 2012 is back to where it was in November 2011," industry and labour statistics manager Diane Ramsay said. However, compared with the same month last year, the number of jobs in January was up 1.3 per cent. It was the 21st month in a row where there were more seasonally adjusted filled jobs than there were a year earlier.



Primary Industries Minister David Carter today tabled the Dairy Industry Restructuring Bill, which includes proposals to oversee Fonterra's farm gate milk price setting. "Because of Fonterra's dominance in the New Zealand market, the price it pays its farmers for milk at the farm gate effectively becomes the default price that all dairy processors must pay to attract supply from farmers,'' Mr Carter said. "The proposed regime will give confidence that the aim of the Dairy Industry Restructuring Act - to drive efficiency in the dairy industry through contestable milk supply - is being met.'' Mr Carter said the legislation would primarily embed Fonterra's current milk price governance amendments into law, require Fonterra to publicly disclose information on its milk price setting, and introduce an annual milk price monitoring regime to be undertaken by the Commerce Commission.



Prime Minister John Key says he is comfortable with Chinese telco Huawei's involvement in the Government's ultra-fast broadband scheme, despite the company being banned from a similar Australian project because of cyber attack concerns. Huawei opened offices in New Zealand in 2005 and has scored major supply deals with Enable Services and Ultrafast Fibre Ltd, the Government's private partners for the ultra-fast broadband (UFB) scheme in Christchurch and the central North Island. The Chinese company also signed an equipment deal last year with Chorus to help roll out fibre lines in the rural broadband initiative (RBI). Huawei's technology was used to build 2degrees' mobile infrastructure and last year the Chinese telco won a $140 million contract to extend 2degrees' network. But it has been revealed Huawei was advised late last year that it could not tender for Australian national broadband network (NBN) contracts because of concerns about cyber attacks emanating from China.



Kiyoshi Inagaki, 58, was knocked out cold, suffered a gash to the back of his head and broken teeth during the attack at a bus stop on the corner of Albert and Wyndham Sts last Wednesday. Mr Inagaki's bag, stolen from him while he was unconscious, was returned to him by the police at the hospital where he was treated for minor injuries. The alleged attacker has been arrested and is facing charges of aggravated robbery. Alistair Comyn, 39, described by the police as a Good Samaritan, played a key part in helping police make an arrest by tailing the alleged attacker while relaying information to police on his cellphone. Mr Comyn's friend, Lisa Bradley, and another man, Jimmy Worthylake, looked after Mr Inagaki until the ambulance arrived. "One bad Kiwi apple caused my injury, but if it wasn't for all the other kind and wonderful Kiwis, I may have been dead," Mr Inagaki said. "So many people have come to help me, and I just want to say thank you and let them know that I still love New Zealand and feel this is a friendly and caring country." Mr Inagaki claimed in his report to the police that he was attacked by a man and three women after he rejected their request for money and cigarettes. "I decided to leave and turned to walk away. As I turned around I felt a punch in my face ... I lost consciousness for maybe two minutes," he said in the report. "Because of the punch, I had bruising to my face and I believe I hit and cut my head on the bus stop. Two of my front teeth were broken." Mr Inagaki arrived in Auckland just three weeks before the attack and had planned to raise money for the victims of the Japanese tsunami. Masa Sekikawa, Japan Society president and police ethnic advisory board member, said Mr Inagaki was recovering well and had been advised to return to Japan as soon as possible.



An unemployed Florida man faces up to 60 years in prison after pleading guilty to hacking into the email accounts of such celebrities as Christina Aguilera, Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johansson, whose nude photos eventually landed on the Internet. Christopher Chaney, 35, of Jacksonville, Florida, entered his plea in federal court to nine counts, including unauthorised access to a computer and wiretapping. He was immediately taken into custody with his head hung low and his hands in his pocket. Sentencing was scheduled for July 23. Chaney was arrested in October as part of a yearlong investigation of celebrity hacking that authorities dubbed Operation Hackerazzi.



"We're just not geared up to have a couple of hundred people sleeping here. Plus, it sends out a really bad signal for people coming in on those late night flights... to see lots of bodies in the terminal." Staff have reported passengers pitching tents, inflating mattresses and cooking meals on gas cookers in the terminal. The airport said it is not prepared to remove people from the terminal, however, because there is nowhere else for them to go, so is trying to establish its own accommodation facilities to cope with the masses. "Unfortunately, we're in a situation where the existing hotel provider has sole rights to accommodation on the airport campus," said Boult. The airport is now trying to negotiate on the rights, which do not expire for 20 years, so it can offer travellers a more affordable accommodation option.



An Auckland couple are desperately trying to get back $20,000 they paid to a company that promised to make their children international stars. The family have gone to the police, but the organisers of the audition company The Event were expected to leave New Zealand last night. Another parent has told of having her daughter's photo torn up in front of her because she couldn't pay the fees. Hundreds of children and their parents have attended auditions hosted by the US firm at SkyCity convention centre over the past two weekends. They were heavily advertised on radio and the Nickelodeon channel as an opportunity for parents to "make their child's dreams come true". Celebrities including Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber were used in promotional videos, despite having no association or history with The Event.



Nearly half a million people in New Zealand use aliases - a number which has doubled in the past two years, says credit agency Veda Advantage. Figures released by Veda show there are 441,000 people on its alias register, and 1000 more were being added every week. Nearly 7 per cent of the 3.5 million records held by Veda had at least one alias. Roberts said one person on their register had as many as 29 known aliases, and a significant amount of people had more than 10. He said while it was illegal to use a different identity to obtain money or other interests, it was not illegal in itself to go by another name. Many aliases were legitimate, said Roberts, with people changing their name due to marriage or the desire to adopt an English-sounding name when immigrating.



Almost a quarter of New Zealand men claim not to have read a single book in the past year, according to a new survey. Research NZ took a sample of 505 Kiwis to learn about the country's reading habits, and found 23% of men reported reading no books in the past year, compared with 8% of women. The study also showed 13% of women claimed to read over 50 books each year, whereas only 5% of men said they read this many. Men said they preferred to read in other forms, such as newspapers, magazines or browsing the internet. Women rated books as their preferred choice over other forms of reading.



Speaking to reporters this morning, Mr Brownlee apologised to anyone who was offended by his comments, but said they were made in good humour. "I'm sure that New Zealanders have been the butt of all sorts of jokes at various times and not taken offence at such a thing," he said. "If I've offended people, I'm sorry about that, all I can say it was meant to be humorous and I apologise for people not seeing the humour in it." Showing off his Nokia phone, Mr Brownlee said he carried "a little bit of Finland with me all the time". According to the OECD Better Life Index, Finland's murder rate is nearly twice that of New Zealand. It also has worse unemployment and health provision. But on economic indicators such as income and work-life balance, Finland is ahead of us - and for education is rated best in the world. Its GDP is also rising faster than New Zealand's.



New research gives clear proof that weight-loss surgery can reverse and possibly cure diabetes, and doctors say it should be offered sooner to more people with the disease not just as a last resort. The two studies, released on Monday, are the first to compare stomach-reducing operations to medicines alone for "diabesity" Type 2 diabetes brought on by obesity. Millions of Americans have this and can't make enough insulin or use what they do make to process sugar from food. Both studies found that surgery helped far more patients achieve normal blood-sugar levels than medicines alone did. The results were dramatic. Some people were able to stop taking insulin as soon as three days after their operations. Cholesterol and other heart risk factors also greatly improved. Doctors don't like to say "cure" because they can't promise a disease will never come back. But in one study, most surgery patients were able to stop all diabetes drugs and have their disease stay in remission for at least two years. None of those treated with medicines alone could do that. "They told me, 'You're going to see rapid results,' but it was amazing," he said. "I was off insulin within less than 72 hours of surgery. I am in complete, total remission of diabetes. My blood sugars are normal.



An empty Japanese fishing boat drifting off the coast of western Canada could be the first wave of 1.5 million tons of debris heading toward North America from Japan's tsunami last March. The wreckage from flattened Japanese coastal towns - including refrigerators, washing machines, televisions, roofs and fishing nets - is heading inexorably west across the Pacific and could arrive sooner than expected, according to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. On March 20, Canada's transport department spotted what it said was an empty Japanese fishing vessel 150 nautical miles south of the Queen Charlotte Islands, adjacent to the main coast of British Columbia. The ship has been declared a hazard to shipping, but Canada has not said what - if anything - it will do with it. The country's Coast Guard said it will take action only if fuel spills from the ship, which is not likely.



A transgender Miss Universe hopeful has been ousted from the Canadian competition because she was born male. Miss Universe Canada organisers said Jenna Talackova did not disclose her secret past when she entered the competition and she was disqualified when they found out. "I'm disqualified, however I'm not giving up. I'm not going to just let them disqualify me over discrimination," the 23-year-old reportedly tweeted. Talackova told media that she has identified with being a female since she was four years old. She started hormone therapy at 14 and underwent gender reassignment surgery when she was 19. The blonde model had reportedly made the finals in the Miss Vancouver pageant before being disqualified.



0 件のコメント: